Hot Chocolate + Food Pairings Worth Trying
While it’s common practice to dunk your cookies into a mug of cocoa, there are many other foods to enjoy with your hot chocolate. Branch out a little and see what flavors can complement that warming wintertime beverage.
Here, we offer some salty, spicy and tangy ideas to get your cocoa on. Because you can enjoy it with anything sweet, but these foods will totally change the way you experience your hot chocolate.
- Pop some popcorn for a deliciously salty twist to every sweet sip.
- It’s no surprise that crunchy, roasted nuts taste delicious with chocolate.
- Skip the chocolate-covered potato chips and dip chips into your cocoa (gasp!).
- Order a big juicy burger and wash it down with a swig of cocoa—dinner and dessert in one!
- A bowl of chili‘s spicy flavors are tempered by a sugary mug of goodness.
- A hint of heat, like from that of bold buffalo wings, will bring out the richness of warm chocolate.
- Peppery meats in a cold Italian sub complement the sweet hotness of cocoa.
- Tart, dried fruits like cranberries and tangerines go well with the creamy drink.
- Cheese goes well with chocolate, but try extra tangy ones like goat and feta cheese.
- An extra dark hot chocolate with key lime pie is better than you can imagine.
Foods to add to your hot chocolate
While you’re sipping your cocoa alongside some of your favorite foods, we also have some ideas for you to stir into it to take it up a notch!
- A candy cane
Add a dollop of…
- Peanut butter
- Ice cream
- Cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Shredded coconut
- Banana slices
- Strawberry slices
So the next time you come in from the cold, lay low, order delivery and heat up a mug of cocoa for a flavorful taste experience.